Oyo Gov-Elect Vows To Review Alleged N30bn Contract Award Within 2 Weeks
Oyo State Governor-elect, Seyi Makinde has expressed determination to evolve a radical review of all contracts, including an alleged N30 billion contract awarded within two weeks by the out-going administration of Governor Abiola Ajimobi.
Mr. Seyi Makinde and Abiola Ajimobi He said the contracts, which he alleged were hastily awarded at the twilight of government’s reign and others that were linked to it would be properly scrutinised when he assumes power on May 29, 2019.
Makinde said this in a statement by his media director, Prince Dotun Oyelade. He said events of the past two weeks had allegedly shown characteristics of targeted contract awards that were compiled in haste and randomly awarded to empty government’s purse before the May 29 swearing-in date.
However, Ajimobi, through his Special Adviser on Communication Strategy, Bolaji Tunji said the incumbent governor would not compromise on his resolve to make life better for the people of the state.
He wondered why awarding a contract should become an issue of debate between the present administration and the incoming one when the incumbent still has statutory rights to be in the saddle till May 29,2019.
“Governor Ajimobi would never be cowed by anyone to make people of the state his priority in the discharge of his duties. If the contracts are for the betterment of the people, Governor Ajimobi would never hesitate to award it.
“Whatever anyone says will not stop this administration from discharging its duties to people of the state till May 29. We are doing what we should do as an administration.
Why would anyone be saying we are awarding contracts? Is that not the hallmark of a government’?”
According to Makinde who had earlier promised not to probe the out-going administration, the Governor elect said, “civil servants who connive in illegal and strange contract awards would have themselves to blame in the next few weeks.”